Associate Director of Center for Language Education (CLE) – Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech), Shenzhen, China
Associate Director of Center for Language Education (CLE)
|Work exp||Minimum 5 Years|
|Employment type||Full Time|
|Industry||Education / Training|
Education / Training > Others
Education / Training > Management - Schools / University / Vocational
Education / Training > Training & Development
The Associate Director of the Center for Language Education (CLE) supports the Director of the CLE and works as part of a team to plan and implement intensive English teaching programs designed to provide enhanced language learning experience to SUSTech undergraduate and postgraduate students on campus, where the instruction language is English.
The ideal candidate will be able to develop the CLE, by contributing to the design and supervision of courses in a number of languages, with a focus on ESL and Mandarin as a Foreign Language. S/he will articulate a vision for the Center and its development, while supporting the internationalization goals within the wider university community.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Responsible for designing and executing activities intended to foster a spirit of community within the CLE and University, as well as cultivating collaborative relationships with various University offices.
2. Mentor CLE faculty and staff, enabling all to reach their potential.
3. Able to work under pressure and meet deadlines; able to work in a busy environment and stay focused. A self-starter with the ability to work with minimal supervision.
4. Able to comprehend and use the CLE business ethos and educational objectives in developing the Center and spearheading its growth.
5. Develop efficient budgeting and scheduling processes, whilst collaborating with relevant university departments.
6. Strong organizational skills, initiative, creativity, high level of productivity, and flexibility.
7. Specifically, extensive experience with faculty observations and evaluation, curriculum development, engagement with Student Learning Outcomes Assessment.
8. Works with the Director to hire, train, supervise, and evaluate the CLE faculty and staff, through orientations, training initiatives, handbook development and revision, and ongoing in-service.
9. Teaches at least one section per semester of undergraduate or postgraduate students.
Minimum Job Requirements
A bachelor’s degree or higher from globally renowned universities in linguistics, applied linguistics, TESOL, or a closely-related field in linguistics. Experience in managing an intensive English program/language department at university level with at least 5 years of progressively increasing supervisory responsibilities for professional and academic staff, as well as at least 5 years’ experience of working abroad, in an ESL environment. Solid knowledge of ESL and other language research and methodologies, in addition to demonstrated experience developing curriculum and assessment in ESL and preferably, one other language. An understanding of the dynamics of diversity in higher education and the demonstrated ability to incorporate this understanding in all levels of work. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.