Viva is a charity organisation, registered in the UK, with regional offices in Asia, Africa and Latin America whose vision is to see children at risk kept safe and well, and given opportunities to learn and be empowered to play an active part in shaping their own futures. The model to deliver this objective is to develop networks of groups who wish to collaborate together to bring lasting change for children.
Viva works with 37 partner community networks within 51 cities/districts and their 25,000 staff in 22 countries across Africa, Asia and Latin America. We are increasing the unity, quality and impact of their work for children at risk, changing the lives of over one million children around the world.
Go to to viva.org see more of our work or viva.orgblog to read stories of lasting change in children’s lives.
Child Protection Advisor
|Education||Diploma / Certificate|
|Employment type||Full Time|
|Industry||Charity / NGO / Non-Profit Org|
Protective Service > Guards, Security & Law Enforcement Workers
Government / Social Service > Project / Program Development
Education / Training > Childcare
There is an expressed desire to address the issue of proactive child protection among various Hong Kong institutions such as schools, sports associations, churches, youth groups and other groups that have children in their care.
Viva has a proven track record of providing child protection trainings and programmes around the world through its ‘KCS QIS’ (Keeping Children Safe Quality Improvement Systems) standard. We have also received very positive feedback from the child protection workshops that Viva has been conducting in Hong Kong.
Viva already has clients for its child protection services, such as thee the Hong Kong Rugby Union (HKRU). These clients requite us to devise and implement Child Protection Services so that through this consultancy, they can achieve internationally recognised protocols and standards of child safeguarding and protection, and have adequate support in dealing with child protection issues and situations.
The Child Protection Advisor (CPA) will work alongside Hong Kong Institutions to advise, consult and develop child protection provision to an internationally recognised standard. This ‘programme’ work will allow Viva HK to serve the local community’s need in this area in a way that underpins Viva’s ethos, mission and vision.
The CPA will represent Viva within this role, demonstrating the high value Viva places on children being safe and enabled to fulfil their potential. Although the role will primarily deliver child protection training and advice the post-holder will need to be able to answer questions about Viva and our work around the world.
The Child Protection Training and Advice being delivered by this role are as follows:
- Child Protection – Abuse Prevention training and mitigation measures
- Child Protection – Advocacy about proactive Child Protection – Presentations, talks etc.
- Organisational Child Protection assessments & recommendations
- Child Protection Policy formation, communication and implementation assistance
- Viva QIS Child Protection Quality Standard certification assessments.
Note: Case management consultancy, when required, will be provided by an Associate Social Worker who will also offer Cantonese language if necessary.
- Manage the delivery of the Child Protection Services for various institutions. This will include both the organisation, and the delivery of the services mentioned above. This will require a close working relationship with the client, a professional work ethic and high standards of delivery.
- Ensure that the services offered remain on target to deliver outcomes that achieve the expected benefits and that they will be completed within the agreed tolerances for budget, schedule and scope.
- Ensure that accurate information is kept on all child protection training participants, other key stakeholders and services delivered.
- Conduct programme outcome evaluations and write narrative and financial reports. Ensure that the reporting happens to agreed deadlines.
- Communicate progress and success stories for the donor community, in the agreed format and by the agreed deadlines to the Communications Manager (UK).
- Practively market the child protection services to bring in new clients.
- Represent Viva in such a way that it enhances our fundraising efforts in Hong Kong.
- A proficient written and verbal communicator with the ability to communicate to diverse groups of people
- Presentation, training and facilitation skills
- Ability to network and engage in child protection and promote Viva’s value in its consultancy in this area
- Self-motivated, pro-active and flexible
- Understanding of and sympathy for the Christian aims and values of Viva and able to represent the organisation
- An advocate of children’s rights/protection
- Able to provide consultancy to organisations internally and externally and across multiple layers advising on child protection policy at a strategic level as well as implementation (expertise training will be given by Viva)
- Ability to foresee and resolve problems that arise during service implementation
- Able to delegate responsibilities to ‘client’ staff as and when needed
- A team player
- Willing and able to manage own workload, administration and time.
- English language proficiency.
Optional but desirable qualities
- Social Worker qualification
- Child abuse case work experience
- Bilingual in Cantonese and English – (Oral fluency to presentation levels)
- Additional Child Protection qualification or training
- Understanding of Hong Kong Social work, systems and network
- Experience of creating and assessing child protection policies
- Experience in business development
- A heart for “children at risk”