HKT (SEHK: 6823) is Hong Kong's premier telecommunications service provider and leading operator in fixed-line, broadband and mobile communication services. It meets the needs of the Hong Kong public and local and international businesses with a wide range of services including local telephony, local data and broadband, international telecommunications, mobile, and other telecommunications businesses such as customer premises equipment sales, outsourcing, consulting, and contact centers.
HKT offers a unique quadruple-play experience in Hong Kong delivering media content on its fixed-line, broadband Internet access and mobile platforms jointly with its parent company, PCCW Limited.
HKT also provides a range of innovative and smart living services beyond connectivity to make the daily lives of customers more convenient, whether they are at home, in the workplace, or on the go.
Data Scientist (Ref : Z11014)
The successful candidate will work together with a team of Data Scientists for our new business initiative. S/he will play an important role and have an opportunity to develop a long term data science and analytics career through working in an innovative and dynamic telecommunications company.
The role involves leveraging data, both currently available "Big Data", with various external data sources, to develop a deep, while actionable, understanding of how customer data can be used to support both the telco’s internal Line of Businesses and external partners/clients' business priorities. The data science team focuses on emerging opportunities by drawing in new data sources, combining them with existing customer data preferences and using that combined data to derive new insights into consumers' attitudes, interests, life stages and behavior. The analysis also requires shrewd understanding of the clients’ business, requiring propensity modeling outputs, and various advanced analytics and data mining techniques, to derive meaningful patterns, distributions, or reports for commercial actions.
- Ensure high level of accuracy and actionable insights for all input and output from various databases and models
- Ensure continuous improvement and efficiencies in data quality and flow
- Identify opportunities for leveraging leading edge analytics and data mining to address key business issues
- Derive useful insights from various big data sources and analysis
- Develop new models (e.g. predictive, targeting, relevance engines)
Continuous development of advanced analytical skill set
- Develop continuously latest and relevant advanced analytics skills required to best manage and analyze digital, social and unstructured data
- Explore new technologies and create a collaborative learning and knowledge sharing environment for the team
Education level, knowledge and work/industry experience
- At least 2 years' development experience in working with big data and deriving analytical findings and insights for a variety of audiences.
- Experienced in digital or social data analysis/open source/web programming highly desirable
- Degree qualified in computer science, statistics, data/information science, electronic and computer engineering, or related fields
- Previous marketing experience is welcome
- Knowledge of and experience within Telco market or service based industry is a definite plus
Professional / Technical skills
- Working experience in ETL projects
- Data exploration and data synthesis, e.g. programming, analysis and problem solving
- Customer level modeling, e.g. propensity scores
- Skills required : Python, R, Hadoop, Spark, Hive and Linux. Working experience in SAS or SPSS tools is an advantage
- Reporting: providing user friendly output that is clear and concise. Working experience in Tableau is an advantage
- Effective communication skill to understand business challenges and requirements while clearly elaborate the data analysis and mining tactic to help the business
- Ability to use common sense to think independently and think out of the box, strong problem solving and analytical capabilities combined with critical thinking and research capability
- Ability to work in a time critical environment and to meet deadlines
- Ability to accept and adapt to constant change and new business challenges
- Self-starter and team player, task and result orientated