The Securities and Futures Commission (SFC) is an independent statutory body that regulates the activities of securities dealers, issuers and market operators such as the Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Ltd. As well as promoting the fairness, efficiency and competitiveness of the securities industry, we provide protection and education to public investors, minimize crime and reduce industry risks. We have been consistently rated the best securities regulator in Asia, and we now have opportunities for high-calibre individuals to join us.
Senior Manager – Intermediaries Supervision (Fintech), Intermediaries (Ref.: SCMP/SM/FT/IS/INT/161125)
Employer Ref.: SCMP/SM/FT/IS/INT/161125
Financial Technology (Fintech) has developed rapidly in recent years and a variety of Fintech activities are relevant to the SFC’s regulatory work. Amongst these are automated trading systems such as algorithmic trading, financial product investment and distribution platforms, including robo-advisers, financial platforms such as equity crowdfunding platforms, and use of new technologies to facilitate the delivery of regulatory obligations (i.e. RegTech).
The SFC’s Intermediaries Supervision Department is looking for a high calibre candidate to join as Senior Manager - Intermediaries Supervision, Intermediaries to take lead of our supervision of licensed intermediaries engaged in Fintech activities. The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Developing a deep understanding of the local, constantly evolving, Fintech landscape as well as the latest market and regulatory development;
- Identifying potential issues affecting licensed intermediaries (start-ups and existing financial institutions seeking to incorporate Fintech in their models alike) in relation to their front and back office operations, compliance, know-your-client, cyber and data security and risk management etc. and assessing how these are addressed by our existing regulatory framework; and
- Developing a risk-based methodology for the purpose of reviewing licensed intermediaries’ Fintech activities and assessing their compliance status.
In addition, the successful candidate will, inter alia, lead a team of young and energetic professional staff to conduct on-site inspections on a broad range of regulated activities, some involving complex business operations, innovative products and advanced practices. In the process, s/he is also expected to proactively analyse market-wide and industry issues relating to the intermediaries, and formulate effective policy initiatives and regulatory responses to address the issues. S/he will interact with senior personnel in the industry as well as actively build and maintain close working relationship with other regulatory bodies and industry associations.
To be successful in this role, you should have:
- A relevant university degree and/or professional qualification, and at least 8 years of solid and relevant work experience in information and communication technology, financial services or related industries sector (including supervision, inspection, compliance, legal, audit, forensic accounting) in Hong Kong and/or elsewhere.
- Strong familiarity with the securities industry and market practices, especially Fintech-related issues. Prior experience in applying information technology knowledge in a trading (especially algorithmic trading) or risk management function gained in a major financial institution will be an advantage.
- To be result-orientated, an active team player, have strong sense of responsibility and impeccable integrity and be able to work under pressure.
- Strong communication skills and excellent command of spoken and written English and Chinese is required.