Career Advice Career counselling, advice and guidance

Tina Wang

Tina Wang is a managing consultant at Michael Page Hong Kong.

How do I get back into my old area of IP law after a spell out?

I worked for over a decade as an intellectual property (IP) lawyer, rising to partner in a medium-sized firm. I then branched off on a venture as a consultant to start-ups and new media companies. This unfortunately proved to be ill-fated as I failed to get the number of clients needed to sustain the business. I am trying to get back into the IP field but, Hong Kong being a small place, I am naturally worried the mark of failure (above all, in business) will follow me around and hamper my efforts to get a position I feel is commensurate with my skills and experience. Unfortunately my previous employer has scaled back its IP practice considerably. What are your recommendations? ...