We are living in a VUCA (Volatile, Uncertain, Complex, Ambiguous) Era, VUCA reflects the unpredictable and erratic forces of change that could affect organizations. Acquiring new skills, behaviors and approaches is necessary to manage facing the threats of VUCA, we need to recognize important assets that know how to deal with challenges coming withheld. A lot of business owners and CEOs have adopted the VUCA era, they have a better understanding of the challenging situations. These thought-provoking situations occur due to unavoidable external aspects that could be related to politics, society, economics, technology, and/or environmental factors.
As a HR Leader, what should we do?
It is cleared that there is a need to develop business agility dictates strategic agenda. HR leader’s role is to guide wider organizational transformation and apply the mindset ourselves to revolutionize our own ways of working.
Agile is really a philosophy, one of making decisions at the level of expertise, empowering people to learn, and experimenting with solutions that are co-developed with customers. You don’t need to work in an Agile organization to do Agile for HR, what you need to apply a few basics steps in your everyday’ s work and you can realize the benefits of it.
In HR, there are two parts to solving problems. The first is “designing” a solution – the second is “serving and supporting” the solution in the organization. HR needs to create cross-functional service roles, instrumenting and monitoring our employee solutions, and getting lots and lots of feedback so we can tweak, improve, and iterate the programs we build. Agile principles will radically change service delivery models. In Agile we need multi-functional support groups. Learning and collaboration is rewarded and encouraged, and people move from project to project throughout their HR career.
To simplify the Agile for HR or HR for Agile theory, here is the summary:
- Embrace the Change Mindset
- Agile is all about the value you deliver to your customer and your business
- Break all those big complex topics down into achievable slices of value
- Deliver value through small, step by step change, validated through a test & learn approach
- Advocate multi-skilled, self-organizing teams, that can make quick decisions in response to client needs.
- Ensure work is transparent & ruthlessly prioritize within the team.
- Build a pool of multi-skilled people able to innovate, design and work together.
- Establish a communication channel to ensure rapid feedback loops and delivers, and also more organized plans
- Co-create employee experience (experience mapping & prototyping)
Conclusion – Start Small & Experiment
Agile HR has the potential to revolutionize our profession and help us co-create the future of work. It also equips us with the capability to help our organizations transform and face the challenges of a volatile, uncertain, complex and ambiguous business world.