Career Advice Startup

3 Reasons Why You should Start Blogging

Published on Friday, 01 Dec 2017

Nowadays, the startup landscape presents tremendous opportunities for talents. As the startup community is thriving, more and more people would like to join it. How to stand out from the crowd becomes a key discussion among talents.

Instead of relying on a long résumé to choose the best candidates for key positions, startup companies now start to adopt a new approach to do the screening — online presence. Blogging is one of the perfect ways to get started and increase your chance of being employed.

Why your own blog can be your sound resume? Here are three major reasons.

Add Value to Others
Blogging works well as a mean to attract audience online as it provides value to people without asking for return. Most of the blog resources are free and can be accessed by people all around the world. By defining a niche and produce blogs of high quality continuously, you become the go-to person in that particular field. For example, if you are good at online marketing, you can talk more about how small businesses can promote their products and services using the available online marketing instruments e.g. Instagram, Facebook, Medium and Twitter.

Convert Traffic into Leads
Blogging can convert traffic into leads and leads into customers. After reading your blog posts, people who are interested in the topic would like to continue to know more about it. Opt-in forms under the blog posts allow them to fill in their email address to get relevant resources e.g. free e-book. After obtaining their email address, you can send them newsletters of blog updates and direct them to your website. You can also promote a product or service to them via email marketing.

Internalise your Knowledge
By blogging consistently, it becomes your habit. While you are writing a blog, you are forced to better organise your thoughts and learn how to articulate them. If you find any gaps in the topic you are writing about, you will have to learn about it. By filling these gaps, your knowledge bank is widened. It is also a great way for you to internalise something you have learnt. Consistent blogging thus paves way for you to become an expert in a particular field. This increases your chance of being employed by startups from that field.

All in All
Talents are everywhere. To stand out from the crowd, you have to do something different. According to the “1 Percent Rule”, only 1% of internet users create contents while the remaining 99% of them simply read the contents created by others. By having your own niche blog, you have already outgrown others and this allows you to grab startups’ attention successfully.